Constantly having bad breath can affect your self-esteem and your social life. Our team wants to help you enjoy your smile by recommending home remedies for bad breath, including:
– Brushing and flossing: Effective dental care habits can prevent bad breath. We encourage you to brush your teeth twice a day and floss daily so that an inconsistent oral hygiene routine does not allow food particles to stick to your teeth and produce bad odors. It’s important to remove sour-smelling plaque and bacteria buildup on a daily basis to keep your smile fresh.
– Cleaning your tongue: In addition to brushing your teeth, you should also clean your tongue to remove bacteria that gathers on the tongue and contributes to bad breath. Brush back to front along your tongue to remove lingering particles, or invest in a tongue scraper to keep your mouth clean.
– Eating healthy: It’s common knowledge that potent foods such as onions and raw garlic can sour your breath, but many don’t know that acidic foods and high fructose food can also be at fault. Replace foods such as vinegar and sugary cereal with healthy options that improve your saliva production, such as:
– Vegetables that are orange and dark green
– Whole grain products
– Non-acidic fruits such as apples
If you are struggling with chronic bad breath, we encourage you to contact us at 708-388-2500 and schedule a consultation with our dentist, Dr. Nils Sandstrom, to determine if you need to receive treatment for bad breath in Palos Heights, Illinois.