Posted .

Mouthwash is a handy oral hygiene tool that can strengthen your teeth, boost your oral health, and even whiten your smile, depending on the product you use. Although it’s quite handy when it comes to the smile and oral health, it’s not handy for your body when you swallow it. In fact, it’s very important that you avoid swallowing it as much as possible. Now, if you have accidentally swallowed the rinse, our dentist, Dr. Nils Sandstrom, is happy to tell you what to expect and what to do.

If you have swallowed a small amount of mouthwash, you don’t need to panic. The worst thing that could happen is that you experience some queasiness and have diarrhea. The next best step is to make a goal for yourself to avoid swallowing the rinse again. If it helps, block out any distractions by closing and locking the bathroom door when you rinse.

If you have swallowed a large amount of mouthwash, you need to first check the label to see if there are any potentially dangerous/poisonous ingredients in the rinse, like fluoride and ethanol. If it does, you need to call the National Poison Control Center at 1-800-222-1222 for immediate help. If the problem is severe, make a visit to the Emergency Room. The symptoms you could experience include dizziness, trouble breathing, drowsiness, or, in serious cases, convulsions or a coma.

Do you have questions about what to do when you swallow mouthwash in Palos Heights, Illinois? If so, please reach out to our dental team at Nils F. Sandstrom, DDS when you have the chance. All you need to do is dial 708-388-2500 and we will be more than happy to help you!