If you are looking to keep your smile and your oral health in tip-top shape, it is important to continue to clean your teeth and gums daily. Your teeth will wear down with age if they are not properly taken care of, so it is imperative to keep them clean and free of harmful acids and bacteria. Listed below are a few oral health care tips as you age:
– Always attend your bi-annual cleanings at Nils F. Sandstrom, DDS, and should any problems arise, be sure to book an oral exam at our dentist office.
– Continue to brush your teeth twice a day with a toothbrush that has soft bristles. Electric toothbrushes are easier on your joints, so let them do the hard work for you and remember, two minutes, twice a day.
– The older we become, the more harmful the effects bad habits have on our lives. Bad habits such as smoking, drinking, chewing tobacco, or heavy drug use can not only ruin our smiles but destroy our health.
– Protect your teeth from needless harm including foods and snacks that can easily crack or fracture your teeth.
– If you have dentures, be sure to clean them every day. Every night they should be soaked in a denture-cleaning solution. Forgetting to soak your dentures can cause them to dry out and crack.
– Always floss daily with floss that is shred resistant and long enough to fully clean between each tooth without spreading plaque around putting your teeth at risk.
If you think your dentistry treatments could use a little extra work and you would like to have a professional exam from our team at Nils F. Sandstrom, DDS, simply book an appointment with Dr. Nils Sandstrom and the rest of our team at our dentist office in Palos Heights, Illinois, by calling us at 708-388-2500. We look forward to improving your smile!