Composite fillings are natural-looking fillings that more and more supplants amalgams as the dental filling of choice for Americans. Composites may not have the 150-year track record of proven success that amalgams have enjoyed, but they are proving to be just as durable for smaller cavities as amalgams are. Today we would like to highlight just a few of the advantages of composite fillings:
– Color: Composites can be customized to match the natural color of your teeth.
– Stronger: Composites can stand up to stronger forces that can cause tooth fractures.
– Size: Composites can be used on extremely small cavities, which were previously too difficult to effectively fill with amalgams.
– Functionality: Composites can be repaired many times over without removing the original filling.
– Durability: Composites can last nearly a decade.
– Safety: Unlike amalgams, composites do not contain mercury.
– Leak-free: Composites can seal the margins between the tooth and gums much better than amalgams can.
Both composites and amalgams are great options for fillings, and our dentist can help you decided which is better for your smile. If you would like to know more, please make an appointment with Dr. Nils Sandstrom by contacting our team at Nils F. Sandstrom, DDS by calling 708-388-2500 today. You can also stop by our office in Palos Heights, Illinois.